So... today... I noticed something. I ask myself "Am I THAT MOM?" A LOT! I know I can't be the only one that sits there and compares myself to other moms. Oh come on... you do it too!!! You know you do because:
1. You see the woman spanking her kid and Wal-Mart and you start to reflect on your past "public discipline scenes".
2. You see the woman walk away from her SCREAMING child in Target and you ponder if you have ever done SUCH a thing!
So... both happened today while grocery shopping. First of all, I let Hailee wheel around a backpack on wheels JUST so she would stop screaming. BUT FIRST when she did start screaming, I got down to her level and told her if she didn't stop she was going to lose ALL privileges for the weekend. Needless to say, I had a mom walk past me and give me the most AWFUL of looks! The look of "I CANNOT believe that mother would DO such a thing!" Hailee Jo then proceeded to slap me (yes- she is making up for Kaydance's LACK OF terrible two's). So... I slapped her hand and asked her if it felt good. She said no and I said "Well it didn't feel good to me either". Needless to say, ANOTHER woman walked by and saw the whole thing and literally GASPED at me! Then... Hailee started screaming because I put the backpack back, and I walked away. Hailee threw herself down on the ground and started crawling towards me as I walked away from her. I then had an AUDIENCE! Really people? What is PERFECT PARENTING? If you have the secret, do share! Apparently, nothing I did was right! That is when I realized... JUDGMENT! That is what that is... and guess what... we are all MORE AFRAID of being judged by others than being judged by the ONLY person who matters: The Lord.
Kaydance and I made bracelets a while ago for our family that say "WWJD". I know... giving away my age a bit... but those things were SO cool and I NEVER took mine off! WWJD: What would Jesus do?
Then I wondered... what would Jesus do? Would Jesus threaten her? No... Would he slap her back? No... Would he walk away while she cried? No... What WOULD Jesus do? My guess... He would let her make her own decision. However, he would show her why she doesn't need it in her life. So... I let her walk around with it. Sure enough... we get to the checkout and she wants a York's Peppermint Pattie. So... I tell her "Hailee... if you want the Pattie you have to put your backpack back AND you have to share it with your sisters"... To my surprise... SHE AGREED! AMAZING...
So... not saying that I am perfect or I have found the ANSWER to parenting, but I have concluded that the WWJD motto is my new motto.
Oooo... another example! Tonight, my kids wanted cookies! They did not want dinner... at all! So... I let the chow down on cookies. Hear me out- I had logic. They ate an ENTIRE thing of Wal-Mart's bakery fresh sugar cookies with frosting. I mean... the ate them all. I sat back and watched... enjoying my dinner and protein shake. They finally asked for something to drink- water. WOW- SHOCKER. I thought they would ask for soda... nope... water. Then... about 15 minutes later they were ALL complaining their tummies hurt. They were in so much pain and begging me to NEVER buy cookies again! WOO HOO- mission accomplished. My kids don't want junk food anymore. They are now all in bed (teeth brushed OF COURSE) but ALL have water bottles (which they keep coming down to refill) and have some warm milk in their tummies to settle them.
So... in conclusion... Yes- I am THAT mom! I am the mom that is going to let my kids make their own decisions. While not ALL the time because sometimes you just have to interfere, I do let them decide what they think is right. If I think it is wrong, chances are, they will learn their lesson. Kaydance wanted to put a scarf over her lamp. We "discussed" it rather than me just LETTING her do it. Of course, she came to the conclusion (with my help and guidance) that putting the scarf on the lamp would not be a good idea. That is when I realized that my children are THOSE children! They are logical and rational and so very intelligent! I am so proud of them... I could not be THAT mom if it weren't for my children.
Again- realization... am I THAT child? Do I just DO things... or do I ever ask my Father for guidance. Because guess what... I think my heavenly Father is THAT parent! If I ask for guidance... he will "discuss" it with me!!!
So... parents... ALL OF YOU (ahem wal-mart ladies)... LISTEN to your kids! THEY WANT TO TALK TO YOU! And when the time is right, TALK WITH THEM... Don't talk TO THEM! There is a big difference... does God ever talk TO you? Or does He talk WITH YOU?
Remember... What would Jesus do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment